Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Beginning an IT career?

I am about to graduate in the spring with my Bachelors of Science degree in Business with a Computer Science minor (3.75 GPA) and I have been accepted into graduate school at RIT, Carnegie Mellon and Rensselaer. I plan on pursuing an M.S. degree in Information Technology, however before I accept admission I have to ask ...





I have read that many IT professionals begin their careers at help desk and/or tech support. I will be concentrating exclusively on database, will I need to begin at help desk in order to become a DBA? Through grad school I will be taking a six month, full time paid internship (hopefully doing database work). How much would an Oracle OCA certification help?





The languages I know very well incl: SQL, C++, Java, HTML and XML. I am also familiar with UNIX / LINUX shell scripting.

Beginning an IT career?
That may be partially true but not completely. I work for a systems integrations firm and it looks like you have some of the skills to easily becomming a .net developer or a sql developer. I think you have the skills to take an associate level position as is in a IT integrations company. Focus on the learning the following pieces to add on to what you know:





Java Servlets


Apache Tomcat and/or Struts


SQL Server


.Net


etc........





I dont know what location you want to end up in someday but check out companies such as MSI (www.msiinet.com) they use these kinds of technologies for their customers.
Reply:You should look into getting a job with a marketing company (direct mail or e-mail) There are lots of 'em, and they make heavy use of database. Send letters of inquiry to all of the smaller companies in your area, with your education they should be calling you back....


No comments:

Post a Comment